My mother used to call it “Possibility Junction”. It’s the theoretical and sometimes rhetorical point at which one is at a crossroads-decision. In business we find ourselves constantly making decisions which we hope will lead down a path to success. But what is success? How will we recognize it? I believe that there are some realizations and decisions that, regardless of business pursuit, must be made if one hopes to achieve his or her goals. Here are 7 Signs You’ve Reached Success Junction, a point at which you choose to succeed or stall as an entrepreneur.
Success Junctions: Moments that signal you’re moving toward fulfilling your dreams:
1. When you realize that despite what you think, you are as good as or better than any other entrepreneur. Among a sea of well-packaged, seemingly-unflappable and -unstoppable professionals, it can sometimes appear that everyone “has it together” but you. This is merely perception. Your vision and goals are just as real, just as big, and just as doable as anyone else’s. It’s up to you what you do with them.
2. When you embrace the concept of calculated risk. Check, then double-check, and then triple-check. If there’s any sign of possible failure, quadruple-check. So many doubts, so much fear… then the opportunity is gone. Does this sound familiar? Risk is one of the best parts of life, and also your business. Learn to err on the side of caution, but rally on the side of courage.
3. When you open yourself to the idea that it’s okay to ask for help. You may be able to go it alone, but in most cases, having great support, whether it’s an in-house team, an outsourced team, or just a colleague willing to lend a hand, is exponentially more effective. Don’t let your pride get in the way of delivering your best product or service (or saving your sanity).
4. When recognize that your business thrives in at least some degrees of organization and structure. No one’s knocking your organizational style. All I’m saying is, have one. If you don’t already, there are plenty of methods to help you streamline and manage your business in an efficient manner. Our PBCi Team would glad to help! Believe me, your business will thank you.
5. When you grasp the fact that helping others while helping yourself amplifies your success. One of my favorite quotes is “One of the deep secrets of life is that all that is really worth doing is what we do for others” (Lewis Carol). Find a way to ensure that you are of being of service and assistance to others. Not just through products and services, but with effort, time, and love.
6. When you understand that you are your business and your business is you. Your state of mind, your health, your outlook – they all impact your business because you ARE your business. Our Mind, Body, & BUSINESS™ workshop series focuses on this point, and seeks to bring resources to the table to help manage. Take care of yourself! You business can’t thrive without itself.
7. When you realize that being an entrepreneur will be one of the hardest, and can be one of the most fulfilling things you will ever do. The ratio of Hard to Fulfilling is completely unknown, and almost entirely up to you.
We are all a work in progress. Each of these is an indicator of growth, which allows an entrepreneur the ability to not only see the road ahead more clearly, but also to better navigate challenges which temporarily obstruct the path to success. Good luck on the journey ahead! Don’t forget to pay attention to the signs.